Are you so interested in what I have to say that you need it quickly? Then subscribe with your RSS reader using this link. Don't forget to post comments, questions or whatever.

Thursday, February 28, 2008

DDRdict or Dance Dance Ragealution

As previously noted here, I have the DDR for the Wii. It's amazingly fun and a great workout. When I'm not sick or overly tired, I try to get in an hour most days and days where Karen isn't around for an extended time and I'd want to play, I go for more. This morning I played for around 2 hours. I also got my heart rate monitor watch in the mail yesterday, so I put it on and tested it out while playing. Before I accidentally stopped the "exercise mode", which monitors my heart rate range as I go and the calories burned, it was about 750 calories. I do tend to try to stick to the faster/high foot rate songs, but that sounds high. however, 1.5 hours of counting, I guess it would make sense. I wasn't tired like during my fitquest hour long runs, but it was good. So if it is as reliable as I'd guess it's price and reputation would signify... well, yay.

However, have you fricken played it? How about DDR anywhere? There is beginner, basic, difficult and expert modes. Beginner really (for me) is about getting used to how it works and getting used to the steps/pad placement. The Wii version uses the Wiimote and 'chuck for doing hand motions, which are essentially punching at the air. More on that in a bit. Well, the difficulty jump from basic to difficult is ridiculous. No exaggeration what-so-ever. I can kick pretty good ass on most all the songs on basic level, but as soon as I kick it up to difficult, boo-yaa. MY ass stomped on the floor. When my neighbor downstairs is home, I wouldn't even try, as I know I stomp on the floor a lot, hopping around like the pad was hot coals and my feet were made of tissue. I'm honestly lucky to have a few good measure, but it has lots of combination steps that I can't fathom yet. Massive hats off to those who can do it. I'm sure I'll get there, but I imagine it'll be a while. I realized that some songs' difficult are only a level harder than some basics, so I should focus on them until I get some of the techniques.

As for the hand thing. Fer feck sake! Touchy. Countless times I have had a chance to have a complete combo - meaning I don't miss any steps - and a hand movement suddenly doesn't get registered. I think I have the secret to getting it and then I'm only proven wrong. PAINFUL and aggravating. Yep, to the point of rage sometimes. I start swearing at the game and yelling. Really, I should be embarrassed, but I guess I'm at home, so it should be ok, though is bothers Karen like mad.

And that leads to the DDRdict... this game is addicting to a perfectionist. I want to beat the songs, beat the challenges and beat myself. This morning I tried again for the last (that I know of) challenge in the challenge stage (I really hope there are more when I finish it - ready to be unlocked). The song is nice and not too fast, but for crying out loud. The missed hand motion or a misplaced step kept ruining it. I needed a 50 combo and to beat the master in that stage. I got a 49 and a 48 and a bunch of lower. At one point though I was messing up on the hand thing within the first 8 steps... and I got pissed and sat the rest of the song out, pouting like a child.
I kept telling myself "ok, this is the last time", "no, this is definitely the last time" and on and on. Pathetic. I did the same song/challenge at least 10 times. I just have to beat it. Finally I just said screw it, I must be tired (I was a little) and took off the chest band - for the heart rate monitor - which meant I was done. Hehehe. I folded up the mat and proceeded to putter around a bit before trying out the P90X Ab Ripper X video - uhhhh... ouch! More on that some other day, I'm sure.

Vacation is nice. Now if only I had more days where I could just do what I want without worrying about bothering Karen (or ignoring) - though she does DDR with me most of the time. Tomorrow, LotRO using a projector on a big wall. Should be fun.

No comments: